Quote Originally Posted by Coyotek4 View Post
Phew! Just finished what I have to consider to be as 'epic' a quest as one can have using the original OVW.

Exceptionally imaginative. And anyone who's seen "The Cube" can appreciate the tricks in a number of these dungeons.

I feel compelled to try this again, as ...
Spoiler: show
I need to try it by taking the HCs over the items, both for the challenge and the chance to use the Master Sword. I don't like how the Letter is one of the 4 'give up' items, but there seems to be enough potion in the dungeons to make up for this. The other items are pure luxury, especially the 'orange ring', as it comes at the same time as the (inferior, I assume) red ring.
Yes, the red ring is inferior because it only quarters damage, while the orange ring cuts it to one eighth. I made it the payout for the L7 gauntlet because, unless you leave the dungeon, you'd play it with the red ring and then have the orange ring for the last two dungeons.

In response to your earlier comment about the bombs, perhaps I'll replace some of the bomb upgrades with Blue Potion special item rooms, so that players who skip the letter still have some chance to stock up before a dungeon. It was my intent that they'd go back to old dungeons with the Lens to find the potions hidden there, but there still might not be enough for struggling players who passed on the lens. Perhaps one of the secrets will feature a VERY expensive blue potion (250 rupees) to get players by until they get the L9 boss key.

For all that, though, this feels more like a beginning than an ending.

A lot of the tricks seemed to be there more to showcase the tricks rather than improve the quality of the game. The sequence of rooms along the right-hand column in Level 9, for example, showcased a lot of new ideas ... but was particularly easy, considering that ...
the Lens reveals everything, at no cost. Maybe makes things too easy.
Hmm... perhaps I can use a script to make that item less useful in the dungeon....
The intent was for players to think back to the dungeons they played earlier and the items that they acquired, and solve the puzzle accordingly. The lock represents level 8, the gauntlet of bubbles and enemies serves as a reminder of the amulet from level 7, and then each block in the string works its way back until the burn flag in level 1

EDIT: Ah, I know what to do! If I make the floor black tiles and use the cave combo or a 'blank' stair combo... brilliant!

Another instance:
The Amulet is a great item, IMHO, but once it's introduced, is there really a need to continue to have so many rooms with nothing but red sword- and item-bubbles? I think it might play better to make the Amulet one of the 'luxury' items, and use such rooms a little more sporadically.
Hmmm... it's a thought. The rooms described were meant to deter the player until they acquired the item in question, but considering 3rd quest having required paths like that perhaps it could do with a little tweaking.

Whether the lack of authenticity hurts its chances, I cannot say. (I am certainly reconsidering my initial thoughts on that matter.) What I really see in this quest, is a 'First Quest' all its own, upon which others can build harder, similar quests.
I hadn't thought of that... perhaps it would be a good candidate for Brave New World (the other contest wherein we build a new foundation with a new overworld to start a new sequence of numbered quests).

No matter what, this is the first quest that truly 'blew me away', particularly the later portions of Level 9. Not just the Ganon battle, but the battles before that one. Very well done.

Kudos on such an enjoyable experience.
I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, thank you for playing!

BTW, one nagging question:
I found a cave with an old lady, selling very cheap, very useful items. I didn't find this until after I had gotten the Letter. Could I have still used this store without the Letter?

I suppose I can find out when I play through the quest a second time, but that will have to wait until I finish all the other entries.
Ah, the super discount shop! Yes, she will not talk to you without the letter, it was a reward for players who chose the letter over the Heart Container