Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.93%

[5th Quest Entry] Chris Miller

My idea from the beginning was to produce a quest that, if somehow burned onto a Zelda 1 cartridge, just might pass as the work of Miyamoto and his team. I'm by no means as good as those guys, but I put my best effort forward.

This is an old-school NES experience, with not a single line of script. I made a couple of new enemies, and added in boss keys, neither of which would be out of place. Someone told me that boss keys were required, so I added them in. Then the rule was rescinded, but I left them in anyway. No big deal. Ah, and watch out for the poison hearts. Enemies don't drop many of them, and they're different-looking, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Several of the clues refer to locations in the 1st or 2nd quests.

The overworld resembles a mix of 1st and 2nd quest design, though the shop, secret, door repair, etc. locations have been changed significantly. The dungeons have their own themes, and use only room styles found in the original game. Again, harkening to the original there. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

None of the dungeons have locations that correspond to screens in the 1st or 2nd quests. I haven't played the 3rd and 4th extensively, but I doubt they match up with those either. In terms of difficulty, I'd say it's perhaps 20% harder than the 2nd quest.

Here are the dungeons' names:
    Level 1: Eagle II
    Level 2: Torch
    Level 3: Smoke
    Level 4: Crone
    Level 5: Sun
    Level 6: Ring
    Level 7: Rupee
    Level 8: Skull
    Level 9: Devil

And without further ado, here is the quest!
    Last edited by Chris Miller; 09-26-2013 at 01:44 AM.

Download Lands of Serenity today! You will be knocked comatose by its sheer awesomeness.
    The Titan's Quest, best played in the bathroom as the excitement can be somewhat...overwhelming.

Official AGN Discord Channel

Official ZC Dev Discord Channel

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.72%
    Through Level 2:

Notes:
    Still haven't found a cheap Shield Shop
    238 Rupees, Power Bracelet, 2 HC's, Blue Candle, Bow and Arrow, Letter (no potion shop), through Level 2.
    Lv. 1 might be too hidden: Novice players won't like the 60 Rupee grind to get in. You might want to put it out in the open or at least under an Armos.
    SHAME ON ME FOR LOOKING TOO HARD FOR LV. 2!
    Found 1, 2, 3, and 5.

Overall, through Lv. 2, a 90 in all 3 categories of Difficulty, NES authenticity, and Fun Factor (those Pols Voice and breaking enemy groups early might be upsetting the apple cart a little too soon), and my comments on Lv. 1 earlier.

BUGS:
    Moldorm Room in 3 and Magic Boomerang room: Are those statue rooms REALLY there just for decoration?
    Nobody appears at the old Lv. 6 entrance.

-James
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-26-2013 at 04:48 AM.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

How many licks to get to the center Chris Miller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.93%
    There are a two cheap shield shops, one in the desert(whistle), the other in the western mountains. For the potion shop, look where the 100-rupee upgrade was over by Level 2 in the first quest, where you burn the bush. There are three others, but that's probably the fastest. The old one by the original Level 6 is still there too. As for the Pols Voices in Level 2, remember, they were in the 2nd quest as well, along with Gibdos and Darknuts, so it's not a huge leap.

You can also pick up a quick 30 rupees in the same area from the Armos statues and old Level 2 entrance, and the old secret money screen three screens west of the very bottom right is still there, which makes an easy 60. But, I think I will go ahead and put Level 1 out in the open, and toss in another shield shop.

For the statues, I just missed them, lol. I went over everything else, but forgot to double-check all the statues. *sweat* Fixing them now. Thanks.

It seems I always miss one or two niggling details in the first release. I'm going to go over it again real quick and see what else I can find. Shouldn't be much if anything, though.

EDIT: Okay, fixed the statues, opened Level 1, and added in a new shield shop where Level 8 was in the first quest. I also fixed the old Level 6 thing. Same link if you want to re-download, but the changes wouldn't affect you at this point.
    Last edited by Chris Miller; 09-26-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Download Lands of Serenity today! You will be knocked comatose by its sheer awesomeness.
    The Titan's Quest, best played in the bathroom as the excitement can be somewhat...overwhelming.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.72%
    OK, I think someone forgot to include a boss key on Lv. 6 or forgot to put a push block flag to find it......

Also, under combo bug on the 3 Red Darknut room above the push a block one direction to go another room (22 I think?)

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.93%
    Fixed. Thanks. :3

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.72%
    I apologize off hand if I seem callout-ish here Chris, but c'mon man. I'm in Level 7 and I've faced 3 out of the last 4 levels with Goriyas, Stalfos 2, and easy enemies. I have only seen one new enemy so far and the difficulty is seriously lacking, almost as easy as the 1st Quest. 2 was your hardest so far.

The audience of this is going to be hardcore NES gamers, like AlphaDawg, TSA, me, Gleeok, possibly Thor and Jeff Hansen, and TG. Do you really think THAT group is going to be impressed fighting like 2 Zols in Level 7, when in the 2nd Quest we had to fight a room of 6 Wizzrobes in Level 5? Also, out of the group I've played so far, 1 quest is New Quest difficulty level, the others are about James Quest difficulty level. The 3rd and 4th range between New Quest and James Quest difficulty level.

While I appreciate the honest-to-God NES approach (even better than mine), it's seriously lacking in the ingenuity, difficulty, and fun factor so far. If you're using Goriyas for the 4th time, why don't you do some new enemies things, like for example have another level of Stalfos that takes a few more hits and does 4 Hearts of Damage with its sword, or increase the Poison Heart drop rate on Blue Goriyas and Blue Darknuts so you can't use them as Heart Machines? Or maybe a few Goriya 3's, SOMETHING to spice it up. Right now I've 1-gamed your quest through 7 because of tripping over a Poison Heart and that's it.

Another suggestion might be making Level 5 Green/Blue and using the Vires as break-rules, and make Level 7 gold/blue and doing some Wizzrobe stuff in it.

7 needs a makeover in enemies, badly. I know you can do better, Titan's Quest: Director's Cut had bite to it.

BUGS:
    Room 13 in 7 (4 Red Bubbles, 1 block), door does not open Block->Shutters (no flag on the block).
    Your Blue Aquamentus doesn't seem to appear, seems glitched, and doesn't appear normally (boss room). You need to check that.

Also, for the record:
    Lv. 4 is where a level in the 3rd Quest is, and my Level 3 is (but there's not much else you can do with the raft, so..... oh well)
    Level 7 is where Level 3 is in the 4th Quest.
    Nice job on Lv. 3's placement, about time someone took care of that damn tree not being Money Making!, lol.
    -James
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-26-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.93%
    Done. If some enemies in 7, 8 and 9 should look familiar, don't let that fool you.
    That's as far as I'll go. I'm not making a killfest here.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.72%
    MUCH BETTER, it's not a killfest either, though the creepy crawlies are still there.

Bugs:
    Still the 2 I reported before:
    Room 13 in 7 (4 Red Bubbles, 1 block), door does not open Block->Shutters (no flag on the block).
    Your Blue Aquamentus doesn't seem to appear, seems glitched, and doesn't appear normally (boss room). You need to check that.

New bug:
    Vires don't split properly. They split into nothing. Check the death attribute value.

Also, slight suggestion: Any way you can add bats over Keese in the later levels, if you're up to it? Just be sure to adjust the damage for them.

I still love 'ya Chris, don't think I'm mad at you or anything. I just had to be honest with 'ya, but it's a little depressing when I romp through a dungeon with 200+ Rupees and don't take a hit the entire way through and it's late-game. I apologize again if I hurt you before, it was not my intention.

-James

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.93%
    Room 13's left door is a one-way shutter. The room you want is a couple rooms down from there.
    Aquamentus is now fixed. Somehow or another, I'd set it to Dodongo type. (EDIT: Yup, it's fixed)
    Vires are fixed. Didn't add in the death attribute.
    I don't see much need for editing all the Keese. There are enough hard enemies already.
    Last edited by Chris Miller; 09-26-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.72%
    7 is now an A instead of a C.

Just might want to change the color of the Red Wizzrobes guarding the Wand to something else because they're a new enemy, otherwise, much better.

BTW, don't know if this is a bug (it's certainly not game-breaking), but the entrance to Level 7 is a cave instead of a stair. Is this intentional?

-James
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-26-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Thread Information