152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    GLFW may work for little GUI stuff for basic software but is it really suitable for what we'd need? Doesn't seem so.

I don't see how the Oculus Rift should play any part. It would be silly to develop it for that. I have seen a little AngelScript and found nothing objectionable. I REALLY dislike lua. I could probably live with it. Ruby should not even be discussed. Who said Ruby? *Gunshot*

I could get behind C# if it wouldn't create too many issues.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.42%
    I been reading through this, and this sounds like the kind of stuff I do on a daily basis. Qt is normally written in QML, but I usually write it in C++. C# is a good programming language to use for its cleaner code but it can't really port for different OS. I haven't really written any game engines but I've made some applications before. If you guys want to use C# I'd suggest using DirectX 3D11 as a base and test it using OpenGL and have some option for the end-user to pick which render mode would be best.

Ruby is worst scripting language in existence. Also the occulus rift thing is overrated.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    GLFW only opens a platform window. It doesn't do GUI at all.

I'm really terrible with GUI stuff in general, partly due to the fact that I've only really used Win32, allegro4 GUI, and wxWidgets in the past. The first two being terrible, and the latter being really picky about working with OpenGL, etc.

Most people prefer QT or C# for editor tools I think simply because it's one less major hassle to deal with. Believe me, I can totally relate to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Samer View Post
    Ruby is worst scripting language in existence.
    You sir have just earned yourself a gold pass to the tree-house club. ...We mostly just drink beer and throw rocks at squirrels though.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    Don't let Saffith hear you say that about Ruby, that's his favorite programming language! On another note. My problems with QT are personal. So really I have no qualms about it. :p

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    My question here: With Solarus out there, is ZC 3.0 really something to make from scratch? Why not fork Solarus, instead, and add in the ZQuest still we love, and backward compatibility for enemies, items, and scripts?

In other words, it's open-source, so why re-invent a decade of work, and sources?

I'm not sure if I like Lua, but that's what it uses. It's sort of an oddball, but then, so is ZScript... (Ruby is fantastic: Who dares bash Ruby?)

The first, priority decision, is if 3.0 would use object-oriented code. I'd think this a must to move forward, but we wouldn't want to break a decade's worth of ZScript to achieve it. Thus, it may be a good imperative, to have a cross-compiler for 3.0.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.42%
    A cross compiler like CMake would be good, I believe it's open source. We'd just have to allow it to understand ZScript which wouldn't be easy.

It's mainly used for industrial IDEs like Visual Studio or Eclipse. It's mainly used for Qt Framework so the GUI will work in another program other than Qt Creator, it's tough digging through that stuff but there's a lot of tools you can use to find it fast, granted you have some knowledge of software engineering. It would definitely take me a long time, it is definitely possible, but may not be feasible.
    Last edited by Samer; 05-25-2015 at 06:34 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Unity might be something to look at too. If it reads ZC files it could be possible. Uses C# as a scripting language.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoriaRPG View Post
    (Ruby is fantastic: Who dares bash Ruby?)

Quote Originally Posted by ZoriaRPG View Post
    My question here: With Solarus out there, is ZC 3.0 really something to make from scratch? Why not fork Solarus, instead, and add in the ZQuest still we love, and backward compatibility for enemies, items, and scripts?

In other words, it's open-source, so why re-invent a decade of work, and sources?

I'm not sure if I like Lua, but that's what it uses. It's sort of an oddball, but then, so is ZScript... (Ruby is fantastic: Who dares bash Ruby?)

The first, priority decision, is if 3.0 would use object-oriented code. I'd think this a must to move forward, but we wouldn't want to break a decade's worth of ZScript to achieve it. Thus, it may be a good imperative, to have a cross-compiler for 3.0.
    Good point.

I agree that writing a core framework (file/filesystem/xml routines, containers, compression, threading, math types, resource management, hashing, etc.) from scratch would be dumb (I know because I did this for my project! ), but beyond that there really isn't too many other things you need for a 2D game engine, graphics and editing tools not withstanding. Actually, I'd say an editor would be the hardest part.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.77%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post

Good point.

I agree that writing a core framework (file/filesystem/xml routines, containers, compression, threading, math types, resource management, hashing, etc.) from scratch would be dumb (I know because I did this for my project! ), but beyond that there really isn't too many other things you need for a 2D game engine, graphics and editing tools not withstanding. Actually, I'd say an editor would be the hardest part.
    Stop teasing us.

Is there any advantage to writing a core framework?

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrl-alt-delete View Post
    Stop teasing us.

Is there any advantage to writing a core framework?
    Absolute knowledge, absolute control...ABSOLUTE POWER!

Writing the editor... That says a great deal, and really, Solarus' weak point, compared to ZC, is the sheer amount of work the user needs to do, to add, or modify game objects, other than graphics. That's one thing that ZC 2.50 did right, from the onset. We have scripting capabilities, but they aren't mandatory to use the programme.

Naturally, Gleeok's post is a double-tease, as I was just discussing how nice it would be to have a full, square screen, with that additional real-estate.( It also makes me want to hack FF1, just to edit that line, into a shell window, with a Ruby parser.)

Thread Information