Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.38%

Zelda 3: The Return of Ganon Quest

Okay, so I know I'm not the first to make a "Zelda 3" quest, but hopefully, mine will be the best by far.

What can the gameplay be expected to look like? Imagine my old quest, for those who remember it, but with more exploration. Or like DemoEx, but longer and with less GuideDangIt style puzzles. I've worked hard to make it as non-linear as possible, but of course, the easiest path is to just complete the dungeons in sequential order.

How far along is it? I've finished the overworld and Level 1, so it's a bit early. But as this one isn't on a beta build, you can expect an official release this time.

the Story? Well:

After the events of Zelda 2, all chaos broke loose. Dark Link's unleashing turned out to be one last saving throw by Ganon's henchmen, who used the blood of Dark Link to revive Ganon, as Dark Link was a close enough analogue to work. Then, upon returning, Ganon immediately went on a rampage, Hyrule Castle was obliterated, the Triforce of Power was seized, and the Triforce of Courage vanished mysteriously. Some say it left of its own will, but most say that's crazy and that it just disappeared. The Triforce of Wisdom was once again split into 8, but this time, Ganon himself divided it and had his minions guard them with a new ferocity, in places located in the most dangerous areas of Hyrule. No, feeling invincible, Ganon has been making Death Mountain erupt and threatens to cover Hyrule in lava. With Princess Zelda resigning and fleeing the land in frustration, can Link, with his dark counterpart dead, now put one final end to Ganon?

Well, there's some twists, but I'm not spoiling them. Screens and more coming........

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.03%
    http://www.thehylia.com/forums/index.php?topic=1871.0

Shhh. I used to be this guy that Captain Cornflake picked a fight with named Captain B. I wrote a Zelda 3. Tell nobody.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    Oh man. I hope it's a bit easier than the old quest. I just don't smoke as much crack as I used too to be able to play such things.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.38%
    Hmm, it's hard to comment on exact difficulty given how non-linearity will allow the player to water down that of the early levels, however, I do have a faux promotional image and a couple of screens:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.38%
    Nothing much to announce right now, but here's a screenshot from level 6:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.38%

Couple of extra preview pics. Look at this next one, a long journey to the amulet, but still no compass or map. Hmmmmmmmmm...........

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.38%
    Am I not allowed to update my topic anymore, or was there a memory wipe that erased posts which happened within a certain timeframe today?

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    I think it may have been a database error, since I'm not seeing the posts or any evidence of their erasure.

Try posting them again now, maybe it's fixed.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.38%
    Figured so, but didn't want to get myself in trouble, so it was better to ask. Here goes:

Okay, so I announced my quest, but what kind of experience can the player expect? Well, here's some of the features you can expect:

-Non-linear, complete levels 1-8 in any order desired
    Spoiler: show
    -Also levels 10-14, but you must complete level 9 before accessing any of them

-The Heart Rings, Quake Scrolls, Whimsical Ring, and Peril Ring can be aquired, though they are disabled in dungeons
    -The Flippers will be in the game, and although the raft will be useless after aquiring them, the Stepladder will not.
    --Stepladder is 4-way on that note
    --Also, there will be one level that makes extensive use of the Raft, and before the Flippers, a good chunk of the map will be inaccessable without it. So it will definitely get some milage before it goes obselete.
    -Some levels are found not on the overworld map, but inside other levels
    -Din's Fire, Farore's Wind, and Naryu's Love can be aquired and do not require magic or rupees. They also will work in dungeons, however, you must find and complete a super tough secret level to access them.
    Spoiler: show
    -Also the Magical Key, which will allow you to skip straight to level 15. Although you can not access the Secret Level until after level 9.
    -An overworld compass, which will reveal where level 15's entrance is hidden

-You can access the entire world map before even entering level 1
    --Although this will require some exploring and grinding, and the Death Mountain area has invisible enemies until you find the Amulet. Some areas are also dangerous early in the game.
    -Most item upgrades are not needed for the player to complete the game. Instead, they are conveniences. For instance, there is a level 3 candle in the game, but neither it nor the Red Candle are in any way necessary. However, the Red Candle will obviously allow the player to uncover secrets easier. And the level 3 Candle hits as hard as the level 4 Sword, allowing some diversification of combat tactics. You can skip either of these two and complete the game just fine.
    --Another example is the Hookshots, the level 1 Hookshot reaches far enough that the player can complete the game with it. The level 2 Hookshot's further reach is a mere convenience, but it also hits as hard as the magic sword, making it a somewhat viable combat option if you factor in invincibiity.
    --This does not mean, however, that higher level items won't be required to unlock secrets, but they will not be required to complete the game.
    -Any high level version of Vanilla Zelda's items(such as Golden Arrow, and Golden Ring) will feature in the game, although some may show up late and I tend to use CSet 9 instead of the default one.
    -Custom bosses do exist. One of which, is the old man from the end of Zelda 2 (he did, after all, use Dark Link as a means of ensuring Ganon's revival).

-Some items appear but work differently. The Wand, for instance. It hits twice as hard as the level 4 sword, and can hit more types of enemies, but can be used only once (but you can buy more in a shop). So it's more a strategic boost than a general tool at your dispoasal.
    -If demand exists, I will also release an "Easy Mode" version of the quest. Although, to ensure that the player has incentive to play the true version of the quest, the ending won't be as good. It will, however, feature everything else that the truer, harder version has.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Are you going to have a separate counter for the wand? Like charges?

By which I mean you could make it use a custom counter and then let the player buy 'charges', perhaps with a limit of 16 or something.

Thread Information