Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.98%

CJC5thDX... any interest?

Okay, so I made a quest for the 5th quest contest.

That quest lost.

So I was experimenting with graphics, and in the process I created CJC5thReskin. Essentially, it was my fifth quest, but with the dungeon graphics I created to maintain consistent perspective and with overhauled enemy and character sprites.

But the palette and mountains in that quest are awful.

Recently I've been refining the Reskin tileset into something more sophisticated: a set that uses the same principle as Koten (That every tile should work in every CSet), as well as a single palette and the idea that mountains should work like dungeon walls. This tileset is called Eclipse, because I intend to use it for a custom project with the same name.
    But... it might be a good exercise in the versatility of the tileset if I convert my 5th Quest to it first. This will tell me if the set has all of the environment features that I need for the bigger project.

So, I'm going to use the tiles and sprites to once again run through my 5th quest. But I'm thinking I want to change some things too, to make the quest less linear and to make the enemies more interesting.

Here are my questions:

1.) Is anybody interested in this sort of thing?
    I don't want to just release remakes over and over. Granted, the yellow forest around the Master Sword is an eyesore, but is that enough to warrant a complete graphical and gameplay overhaul?

2.) What kind of changed mechanics would you like to see?
    I've got a script that makes sword enemies stab instead of fire beams, to make them closer to Link. This would make them easier.
    I've also got ideas for tribble->next combinations to achieve some cool results. For instance, I'm thinking I want all undead enemies to be burned for defeat. Fire weapons would stun them until you deplete their HP (kill the first form), and then while their body is on the ground you have to use the candle or magic wand to fry them. This would make them much more difficult, particularly in early dungeons where candle usage is limited.

3.) Better music and sound effects, are there any ideas?
    I was just planning to use some of my favorite Midis in this iteration, but @Nightmare suggested I use NSF music. I know BigJoe is an excellent composer on that venue. Does anybody have any input on that?

4.) Plot?
    I'm considering making the game less cryptic and even giving some explanations, such as the fact that Ganon has hypnotized the royal guard and--for those too strong to be swayed--turned them into monsters (hence why Link needs the Triforce of Wisdom to fight him, it is protection against his magic). Such would involve removing the cave system of the original and reskinned versions in lieu of a more modern dmap-based interiors. I'm also going to use character portraits, and I want to know if this sort of detail is appreciated as a nice feature or detested as another deviation from classic gameplay.

5.) I don't have any other bullets.

So... opinions?
    I'm an author. If you're interested in checking out my works, you can find them on Amazon.com:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.48%
    1.) Is anybody interested in this sort of thing?
    Just do what you think is best, if you want overhaul that's fine which I'm sure if it wasn't even for 5th quest contest you would make it a bit different.
    Some things that did bother me though, the doors and bombable walls. Some levels looked more like an outdoor temple than an underground labyrinth.
    That's cool, it's just outdoor temples are, outdoors.

2.) What kind of changed mechanics would you like to see?
    I like this idea you had, ideas randomly pop up in my head as I go through. If undead monsters by artefact definition can't be "killed" then you'd need to at least disintegrate their bodies through burning since you know all dead things are past the phase of Rigor mortis. A sword won't cut it alone.
    I'd make the stab/slashing/etc. from enemies cause more damage than "touching" them.

3.) Better music and sound effects, are there any ideas?
    Original music is always better. if you "excellent" music, .spc would be the best. .nsf is ok for nostalgia.
    Whatever you wish bro, it really doesn't matter to me but that's what I think. For SFX, if it's even compatible, use .ast (Gamecube/Wii sound format)

4.) Plot?
    I like your plot idea. "Deviation from classic Gameplay" that for sure is not true. There are countless classics that use portraits, this ain't the 80s/90s no more, do what you want. People couldn't do what they wanted because of hardware limitations, but software can virtually fix hardware now so it's all good.

5.) I don't have any other bullets.
    I don't know what to say lol

You are going in the right direction bro, in my opinion at least.
    Those were all my opinions.
    Last edited by Samer; 07-04-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.72%
    EDIT:

I think new music is a must. Use the NSF Zelda 1 remix for the OW, but the dungeons should have all new themes or at least remixes. The music should be upgraded from MMC1 to MMC3.

I also think you should use Demo-esque color and MMC5 style coloring (a.k.a. 256 colors per screen, maybe make some of the enemies 8 colors instead of four). Remember, we got told by Nintendo to be more creative through Super Mario Maker, so don't limit yourself to the MMC3 standard. I'd say going full CV 3 level graphics with the colors is a good thing.

Most of all, take your time, do it right. We've already heard it from Pure, Gleeok, and Nintendo on things like New DLC, so take your time, do it right. No need to rush it, New Quest 2 carried recently, Randomizer Outlands is out, and Demo SP will probably be the last of the NES style quests whenever it gets done. Don't rush it. The other version works fine for the moment. No need to get into a crowded field, watch when people release stuff. Since you're making a more "competitive" style quest, February/March would be cool when people are done with their casual craze and start playing the games they always play.

-James
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-05-2015 at 12:05 AM.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

I shall exalt myself over all Armagedddon Games bigjoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.04%
    MMC5 music does not work in Zelda Classic. I've been having to convert things to Konami VRC6, which in some cases can bring down the quality.

Aside from mentioning that, I think if you have reason to test out a new tileset, then a nth quest variant is always a good way to go. I'm personally interested to see what you could do with it. But I agree with Nightmare, take your time. Try to make it the perfect vision of what you wanted the quest to be. So you don't have to remake it again.

How many licks to get to the center Chris Miller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.93%
    The soundtrack from Castlevania III seems to work just fine.

Download Lands of Serenity today! You will be knocked comatose by its sheer awesomeness.
    The Titan's Quest, best played in the bathroom as the excitement can be somewhat...overwhelming.

Official AGN Discord Channel

Official ZC Dev Discord Channel

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    24.2%
    A re-reskin?! :O I hope nobody had to put the lotion on the skin or get the hose again for this to get made.

I say just add in whatever you feel like. Better than not and thinking you should of.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Thread Information