Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.44%
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoriaRPG View Post
    I sense a level of hyper-optimisation here.

How refined is the cocaine that you use Gleeok, and where might I acquire some?
    It's not that it's supposed to be a drop-in replacement that's hyper optimized or anything, but more of just something that's lightweight and not stupid in general.

For you I will share the ultimate secret. You can get the good stuff at any quicky-mart:

Quote Originally Posted by _Mitch View Post
    I'm a bit late to the party.

Hash tables are usually nothing fancy, but yours is pretty dang nice, I admit. I remember when I first heard of a hash table, I thought 'why didn't I think of that'- They're a pretty cool idea.
    I've seen some pretty impressive speed improvements by using a hash table. I admit, I also never liked STL, and often the word bloated to describe it; guess I'm part of the minority too!

Although, I'm probably a little crazier, because I like writing everything from scratch (reinvent the wheel much).
    I'm going to try to make my own game console sometime in a few months, and I'll implement everything from it's blitting onto the screen, to controller input.
    There will definitely be no STL there! It's probably pretty redundant, but once it's done, cloning it would likely be easy. Maybe I'll give them as gifts.

I found this line particularly hurtful.

I was never a fan of C# >.> So I'd probably create some sort of external C-like bytecode compiler, and bytecode interpreter.
    Again I reinvent the wheel so much I cry myself to sleep at night. I have a problem, and it affects my rate of completion. 0.o
    If you can turn a cheap last-gen smartphone into a full-blown OUYA-like console with a controller that outputs to a TV and will run emulators like SNES, PSX, etc you will be a god amongst nerds.

I'm not really a fan of lua or dynamically-typed languages, and I wasn't really digging the angelscript for all the stuff I needed to do... so c# scripting at that point was a no brainer, really. The downside is that it is very time-consuming to bind everything properly--especially when you want quick proxy or place-holders for thing that aren't done yet.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Gel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    58.97%
    If you can turn a cheap last-gen smartphone into a full-blown OUYA-like console with a controller that outputs to a TV and will run emulators like SNES, PSX, etc you will be a god amongst nerds.

I'm not really a fan of lua or dynamically-typed languages, and I wasn't really digging the angelscript for all the stuff I needed to do... so c# scripting at that point was a no brainer, really. The downside is that it is very time-consuming to bind everything properly--especially when you want quick proxy or place-holders for thing that aren't done yet.
    My console will not have Android OS though, that's for sure. I imagine it being OS-less, like the FAMICOM/NES! :]
    I hear ya. I'm not a fan of lua or angelscript either (just because of the syntax alone)!
    To be honest, I really hate dynamically typed languages! It just loses flexibility that way (and often performance).

C# isn't too bad, it's just I'm OCD about memory usage and stuff (probably because of my uC programming experience).
    Complexity and flexibility usually come at the expense of speed (think c# scripting), unfortunately.
    Sometimes you just have to juggle the value of a rolling it yourself and development time.

Also, the Ouya is a little disappointing, it's lower end than most phones, runs the same stuff, isn't portable.
    At least Ouya gets a controller (even though most android apps are designed for touch screens).

Thread Information