Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.72%

Lightbulb Proposition: Remote Building

I've been giving some thought to the process of daily builds, and one of my mates suggested allowing users to do remote builds using openbuildservice.org. This seems like a good plan, to me, for Linux builds, although time will tell if it worjs.

I'd appreciate some discussion on it.

Whilst on the subject, can anyone suggest a similar service for making Windows binaries?

For the OSX builds, I may need to adapt some existing tools, or make some tools, to run on the company XServe, that allow useds to log in and make a daily binary (hopefully Fat BIN), for Mac OSX.

Is this the end?
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.58%
    We used to do semi-regular builds, and I'm not eager to go back to that. I know it's technically not quite the same, but close enough.
    People use the builds to make quests, not for testing, so they complain if features are removed or the quest format changes. They don't keep them up to date, so they waste time reporting problems that have already been fixed or result from incompatibilities between builds. The main reason we put out beta 18 was to get away from all that.
    If we had a small, private testing team again, it would probably be okay.
    Last edited by Saffith; 09-17-2016 at 06:22 PM.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.72%
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffith View Post
    We used to do semi-regular builds, and I'm not eager to go back to that. I know it's technically not quite the same, but close enough.
    People use the builds to make quests, not for testing, so they complain if features are removed or the quest format changes. They don't keep them up to date, so they waste time reporting problems that have already been fixed or result from incompatibilities between builds. The main reason we put out beta 18 was to get away from all that.

If we had a small, private testing team again, it would probably be okay.
    of the users in the scripting chat would be willing to do proper testing. The present list of members is here, if you want a sampling:

http://timelord.insomnia247.nl/zc_skype/

At the same time, closed betas of an open source software product seems wonky to me.

Thread Information