0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.37%
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffythedragonslayer View Post
    What BOTW assets?
    I was referring to the artwork on the armageddongames.com and zeldaclassic.com websites. A major part of the "other" repo is to avoid infringement of Nintendo copyrights and trademarks, especially in light of some pretty big lawsuits and numerous takedowns by Nintendo which are an existential threat to fangames everywhere.

Just recently, a whole website dedicated to fangames got shut down due to a DMCA notice. Nintendo has become highly litigious and not something that should be brushed off as nothing.
    Last edited by BFeely; 03-28-2024 at 01:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    20.33%
    Quote Originally Posted by BFeely View Post
    I was referring to the artwork on the armageddongames.com and zeldaclassic.com websites. A major part of the "other" repo is to avoid infringement of Nintendo copyrights and trademarks, especially in light of some pretty big lawsuits and numerous takedowns by Nintendo which are an existential threat to fangames everywhere.

Just recently, a whole website dedicated to fangames got shut down due to a DMCA notice. Nintendo has become highly litigious and not something that should be brushed off as nothing.
    Well if you are worried about that you should reach out to Games Radar and Zelda Dungeon too, because they use the same artwork:

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-legen...n-world-gaming

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/who-did...kingdom-debate

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    24.78%
    classic middle of the night unhinged gleeok post

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.97%
    The way it sounded like things went down was that 1) the now banned developers copied the original GIT repo into their own account, cutting off other AGN ZC team members, and 2) after doing so went back and deleted the original GIT repo, so it appeared their copied repo was the one and only ZC. Is that correct? I totally missed when all this happened and tried to catch up, but I didn't get a reply to my December post, so I wasn't sure.

Based on the posts from the last few days, am I right we were able to get the original repo back? If so, I'm so glad Though since the now banned developers took the ZQuest Classic name (which Zelda Classic was changed to at some point) when they copied the original repo, we had to revert back to the original name of "Zelda Classic" right? (which I actually prefer).

But yeah, if the now banned developers weren't happy with the way things were going with ZC, they could have done a fork, which is the whole point of forking software! I don't remember seeing an explanation as to why they didn't do a fork, so to me their actions came off as really pretentious and without regard to the history of ZC and all the developers that came before them.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.37%
    Actually it had been renamed to https://github.com/ArmageddonGames/ZQuestClassic for a while, before the repo got transferred to the ZQuestClassic organization.

What happened recently was Gleeok downloaded a source snapshot of the ZQuestClassic repo then uploaded it as an "initial commit" to ZeldaClassic/ZeldaClassic repo.

He could have easily just pressed the Fork button on the repo and automatically got a copy under his full control preserving the commit history in the process, as their repo is still fully public.

In addition, after forking, you can "detach" a fork by going to https://support.github.com/request/fork

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.21%
    Quote Originally Posted by vegeta1215 View Post
    The way it sounded like things went down was that 1) the now banned developers copied the original GIT repo into their own account, cutting off other AGN ZC team members, and 2) after doing so went back and deleted the original GIT repo, so it appeared their copied repo was the one and only ZC. Is that correct? I totally missed when all this happened and tried to catch up, but I didn't get a reply to my December post, so I wasn't sure.

Based on the posts from the last few days, am I right we were able to get the original repo back? If so, I'm so glad Though since the now banned developers took the ZQuest Classic name (which Zelda Classic was changed to at some point) when they copied the original repo, we had to revert back to the original name of "Zelda Classic" right? (which I actually prefer).

But yeah, if the now banned developers weren't happy with the way things were going with ZC, they could have done a fork, which is the whole point of forking software! I don't remember seeing an explanation as to why they didn't do a fork, so to me their actions came off as really pretentious and without regard to the history of ZC and all the developers that came before them.
    Sorry for not responding, I figured the next update would help explain the situation, but we haven't gotten there yet.
    Unfortunately, no. They just stole (transferred) the entire repo and still have possession of it. It had nothing to do with being unhappy with ZC since they were the only ones working on it at the time.They simply wanted nothing to do with agn, so they made their own website and misappropriated the entire project. It really is that bad, and we have all the receipts to back up these assertions. Even now, you will not find any mention of www.zeldaclassic.com or Armageddon Games from any of their links either at purezc, github, or any of the rest of it. Moreover they have been going around to Zelda sites and removing or altering the history of the zeldaclassic project even though AGN has been the home of Zelda Classic for 25 years! purezc is entirely complicit in this act of betrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by BFeely View Post
    Actually it had been renamed to https://github.com/ArmageddonGames/ZQuestClassic for a while, before the repo got transferred to the ZQuestClassic organization.

What happened recently was Gleeok downloaded a source snapshot of the ZQuestClassic repo then uploaded it as an "initial commit" to ZeldaClassic/ZeldaClassic repo.

He could have easily just pressed the Fork button on the repo and automatically got a copy under his full control preserving the commit history in the process, as their repo is still fully public.

In addition, after forking, you can "detach" a fork by going to https://support.github.com/request/fork
    Let's not entertain too much speculation please.
    We have multiple repositories in the background you are not aware of yet, and two have full history. The repo in question was made public for vetting and various purposes; it is branch-specific and gigabyte+ of unwanted and unused cruft were simply left out of it. If you are interested in making sure we maintain the history I'll be happy to send you a message and a link when this happens in the next week or two. I do believe it is important as well. Thank you for your concern.
    Last edited by Gleeok; 03-30-2024 at 05:53 PM.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.97%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    Sorry for not responding, I figured the next update would help explain the situation, but we haven't gotten there yet.
    Unfortunately, no. They just stole (transferred) the entire repo and still have possession of it. It had nothing to do with being unhappy with ZC since they were the only ones working on it at the time.They simply wanted nothing to do with agn, so they made their own website and misappropriated the entire project. It really is that bad, and we have all the receipts to back up these assertions. Even now, you will not find any mention of www.zeldaclassic.com or Armageddon Games from any of their links either at purezc, github, or any of the rest of it. Moreover they have been going around to Zelda sites and removing or altering the history of the zeldaclassic project even though AGN has been the home of Zelda Classic for 25 years! purezc is entirely complicit in this act of betrayal.
    Wow, that is really terrible. I just don't understand some people I tell you what, Raichu86/Wild Bill (RIP), a friend and long time member of AGN who originally founded PureZC, would never have stood for it. He loved AGN and loved Zelda Classic. In my opinion everything they did is a betrayal of him as well.

Anyways, thanks for the update. I'll be curious to hear more later on.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.37%
    GitHub is based on Git which means getting possession of your own repo from it is completely trivial.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.93%
    Moreover they have been going around to Zelda sites and removing or altering the history of the zeldaclassic project even though AGN has been the home of Zelda Classic for 25 years!
    Do you have some examples of these sites? I've heard nothing about any such effort, and find it unlikely given how little outreach the ZC community has had. We're pretty isolated and have barely put in any effort to advertise the program to the greater internet or even other Zelda fan sites lately despite declining interest. So I'd be surprised to hear if someone did put in that effort.

I'm also kinda surprised that PureZC actually removed the AGN link on their about page. Pure is one of the slowest moving sites I know and they got on that change with unprecedented speed. I'd have figured they'd just forget it was there. There's probably more links buried in the forum's many old pinned topics that they have forgotten. In fact...Yup, there we are.

We have multiple repositories in the background you are not aware of yet, and two have full history. The repo in question was made public for vetting and various purposes; it is branch-specific and gigabyte+ of unwanted and unused cruft were simply left out of it. If you are interested in making sure we maintain the history I'll be happy to send you a message and a link when this happens in the next week or two. I do believe it is important as well. Thank you for your concern.
    Are you at liberty to share anything about the planned direction for the AGN repo and what cruft is being done away with? Understandable if it's all being kept hush-hush for the moment, just curious how the two versions will differ and why users would want to pick one over the other.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.37%
    Perhaps AGN ZC will be more about emulating Zelda 1 and ZQuest Classic will be more about being a fully-featured game engine that happens to run quest files made for ZC 2.55 and below?

By the way, git history doesn't necessarily take up gigabytes of space as the git system compresses the differences. I personally have in the past migrated a self-hosted SVN to GitHub, at first using a hook to sync the two before retiring the SVN in favor of Git. All history was maintained, except for some extremely early revisions that were lost when my first VPS provider suddently went under.

Git repos are designed to be cloned as I said multiple times. The ZQuestClassic repo can be cloned using any Git tools you want.
    Last edited by BFeely; 03-31-2024 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Reminder about how Git works.

Thread Information