However, it will require placing some of it on another Map. (No, it's not what you think. See attachment.)
Erm... Care to elaborate on the underlined part? (Just out of curiosity, really.) I think that this was exactly what I was thinking. :p I did this before in one of my quests. Pretty damn awesome. You even get to place clouds around the region in general. One thing does strike out at me though; in order to maintain the illusion of a height-based mountain while still at its base, BEHIND the mountain, (I.e. north of it, assuming up is North.) I would imagine that we'd have to either create some tiles of mountains with every other pixel (beginning from halfway up the tile, or 1/3 up, more or less.) transparent, ... or make some mountain tiles transparent and unwalkable to the entire south so they can't scroll down to break the transparent illusion.

... ... In other words, ... When you're behind the mountain, it shouldn't go STRAIGHT UP into the next screen on a layer. It should kinda dissolve into the space above it on that layer, so you know that there's a mountain reaching high up into the sky, but you have little to no problems seeing behind it to the trees or cliffs or whatever behind it as well.

(BTW, awesome looking attachment. :p I love how much effort you put into everything, _L_. I really hope everyone else will follow your example. ^.~ Myself included, of course.)

Winter Wind sounds a little bit like something from the Super Mario Bros' (NES) Castle Levels, where you'd dodge those rotating sticks of fire and fireballs. Pretty awesome. Yeah, we can/should do some snow in some places, but there's also a lot of lava near the south. The snow will be along the middle of the eastern portions of the map. The Northeast is primarily (And vastly so.) blackenned and charred, though not necessarily by fire. So the southeast is mostly volcanic, and the northeast is mostly charred, and everything else "eastwards" in the mountains is snow, due to its very high elevation. The bases of the mountain(s) will be much less cold. (And then some.)