Yeah, It's basically three modules: The "world"; the interface (menus, shops, inventories, etc); and the battle engine. Each one of these breaks down into separate states of their own, often with their own set of states and so forth. While the battle code can work just fine without maps, events, or towns, we're going to need an interface just to be able to use a phoenix down or even to select the attack command.

The good news is I finished assembling most of the raw resource crap (minus player sprites -- in progress) which can all be loaded and saved, and debugged (mostly) the scripting engine, and have a fair amount of base classes done. This was a fairly time-consuming process which didn't reflect into raw code.
The bad news is I haven't had too much time to work on it these last few weeks. -Although I did manage to put together some BattleActions today.

Actually, once I get Player/Monster entities, a few script methods, and player sprites in, you can start on it whenever. I set the default resolution to 256x208 ... which is strange. I know that 256x224 is the normal, and GBA uses 240x160 (which seems cramped together), but take a look at some PSX screens and you'll see what I mean. ..It's obviously stretches the X to match a 4:3 ratio, but the sprites look like they stretch along the Y a little too... (Almost like the battles have a separate resolution of 240x200.) ..Can anyone shed some light on this?