Hmm... I feel it might be a good idea for each state to offer an advantage and a disadvantage along with the elemental adjustment, to give players more reason to consider or refrain from using them.

Float-> Ignore Earth Damage, Double Air Damage. Evasion rate increased, but take more damage from physical attacks.

Anchor-> Ignore Air Damage, Double Earth Damage. Regen health each turn, but evasion rate reduced.

Frozen-> Ignore Ice Damage, Double Fire Damage. Suffer as if slowed (fewer attacks in FF1, impaired APB in other games), but take less damage from magic. Slow effect is not as severe as actual slow.

Ignited-> Ignore Fire Damage, Double Ice Damage. Hostiles take damage when attacking the character, but the character suffers damage each turn as if poisoned.

Soaked-> Ignore Water Damage, Double Bolt Damage. Recover a small amount of MP each turn, but hit rate is reduced as if blinded.

Charged-> Ignore Bolt Damage, Double Water Damage. Prosper as if under Haste (more attacks in FF1, improved APB in other games), but magic attacks inflict more damage to the character. Haste effect is not as beneficial as actual haste.

...That didn't turn out as good as it sounded in my head. ...Maybe...

Float-> Ignore Earth Damage, Double Air Damage, Half-Again Shock Damage (not grounded)

Anchor-> Ignore Air Damage, Double Earth Damage, Half-Again Water Damage (Tsunami hits harder when you can't go with the flow)

Frost-> Ignore Ice Damage, Double Fire Damage, Half Water Damage (protected by the cold), critical hits cause instant KO (shatter)

Ignited->Ignore Fire Damage, Double Ice Damage, Triple Water Damage (But ends effect), lose HP each turn

Soaked->Ignore Water Damage, Double Bolt Damage, Half-Again Ice Damage (Turns effect into Frost)

Oil->Triple Fire Damage, Ignore Water Damage (also ends effect)

Now I'm just blathering.

I did have a separate idea that combined the 'silence' and 'toad' ailments.
Toad causes all the character's stats to drop to laughable levels. Silence blocks off certain abilities (usually the Magic menu). Combined, you could create a 'migraine' ailment that both blocks magic abilities and severely hampers Magic traits (Intelligence, MDefense, and MEvade).

This can easily be extended in the other direction to create a 'sprained' ailment that blocks physical abilities (Fight and Character Special, IE Blitz or what have you) and severely hampers Physical traits (Strength, Defense, Evade).

Anyway, I think with free-form scripting as an option we can have a lot of fun tweaking the established status effects of the FF universe. Since any status effect boils down to a label and a reaction, we could even do crazy things like "Bahamut Cannon" that causes the character to summon Bahamut in response to every attack levied against them! ...Obviously you wouldn't include something like that in a serious game, but it might be funny in a joke adventure.