Quote Originally Posted by _Mitch View Post
My console will not have Android OS though, that's for sure. I imagine it being OS-less, like the FAMICOM/NES! :]
I hear ya. I'm not a fan of lua or angelscript either (just because of the syntax alone)!
To be honest, I really hate dynamically typed languages! It just loses flexibility that way (and often performance).

C# isn't too bad, it's just I'm OCD about memory usage and stuff (probably because of my uC programming experience).
Complexity and flexibility usually come at the expense of speed (think c# scripting), unfortunately.
Sometimes you just have to juggle the value of a rolling it yourself and development time.

Also, the Ouya is a little disappointing, it's lower end than most phones, runs the same stuff, isn't portable.
At least Ouya gets a controller (even though most android apps are designed for touch screens).
What implementation do you intend? Something that acts as a minimalistic HAL, with JIT cross-compiling? You'll need some kind of F/R OS though, for it to work. If you're going through all that effort, why not just do your own FPGA implementation, and aim for an ASIC?

I think you'll find that the sheer number of memory mappers for the NES/FC, and directly implementing them at an assembly level will be a gigantic stumbling block, particularly M90 mMC5, and VRC7.

I've liked what I've seen of AngelScript, primarily because it allows C, and C++ syntax, including a mixture of both; and it's a ZLIB license. It's still an interpreter though, and there is no real reason that you couldn't allow four different syntaxes to compile to the same engine... The main disadvantage of C# that it's designed for Windows, and I'm shaky on support for PSOX-based OSes, which is why I'd be wary of it, although admittedly, I haven;t enough experience to form an objective opinion...

Sorry Gleeok, but Posix OS compatibility is always high on my priority list. Besides, you'll never be happy until you write your own interpreter from scratch, and you know it.

Maybe I should make ZPASCAL or ZCOBOL90, to prove a point. Then I can take an extended leave to a padded resort!