Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
It's a Christmas miracle! : I compiled the editor and added in a file tree which gets populated at start--basically like loading a quest but there's only one quest, etc. So, all game assets are now stored with the project file--basically like a game header, if that makes sense. The good news is that the engine has been updated to load complete "games" which crosses off about 30 todo's off my list. The bad news is without one it doesn't do anything, really. :x Also deleted about 10,000 LOC which was overdue.

Added initial support for in-game editing as well. Currently there is only an 'active tileset' tile-mask mode, for solidity stuff, however, so now we have collisions and a debug draw:

I'll have to figure out the door situation after warp events I suppose....

Collision works the same way so far as just about any 2D game, including ALTTP and ZC. Each cell is split into 4 masks, which gives the option of diagonal or half-tile movement; although by default FF simply uses full tiles, so that's what I'll do.

Also, apparently we are at 774 assets so far. If anybody is wondering why it's taking so long it's probably because of that. (...or the 80,000 lines of code might have something to do with it. ) NPC spritesets are the next thing on my list. Every map is going to have bats on it... lots and lots of bats. :)

PS: I was profiling two different spriteset implementations I wrote (because I couldn't decide which one should get replaced), so I did a stress test while I was at it (You know, for fun) and had 1600 fully animated and scripted NPC's on screen and it was like 1% of the total frame time--I fucking kid you not. Of course the scripts don't do anything right now--collision and moving are nice, I know-- but that's still pretty absurd. I used to think we were about 80x faster than rpg maker but right now I'm thinking more like 400x is ballpark... That can't be right...

What routines were those 1600 NPCs running? Movement, walkability, collision, solidity detection, character detection, event preprocessing, string updating (based on triggers)?

It's fantastic, of course; and RPG Maker isn't exactly optimised in any way whatever. It was never meant to be, which is part of the problem. Clearly, you did something right; unless some existing components weren't running. So, where is our testing copy? :p