Quote Originally Posted by Grayswandir View Post
Well, that's more reasonable, I guess.

Like I said, ghost.zh uses that trick. I'd estimate that half of all scripts in use are ghost scripts. In any case, it's a big chunk of them. And I know several users who hack into their copy of the ghost library itself to fix perceived bugs, making it rather difficult for them to update to whatever new version fixes this issue. I'd estimate the workaround at around 50 lines of code.
In any case, I'd estimate that every recent moderately script heavy quest uses it somewhere or else. (Maybe not LaZ? That was mostly developed independent of everything else. I'd have to ask about that.)

As for what it's used for - like I said, it emulates pointers. So you can use it for whatever kinda thing you'd normally use pointers for. Ghost uses it to stuff 20 or so data values into a single npc->Misc slot. (That particular workaround is dynamically assigning an id in a dedicated global array. You're moving into psuedo-memory management at that point, though). I've used it for a malloc/free system, linked lists, hashmaps, etc. (Though I haven't really released anything...)
All I saw in your quote of ghost.zh code was the passing of an array pointer. Not the abuse of ZS's wonky data type.