Quote Originally Posted by Isana View Post
As it is now, there's not really much else you can do since Zelda Classic itself needs to be able to read quests. I'd like to see quests compiled down to some form of bytecode which could be embedded in a 'runner' of sorts, producing an executable (possibly along with some necessary libraries) which could then be distributed as opposed to quest files. This would be possible with a complete rewrite of Zelda Classic. Something along those lines would be quite a bit more secure.

Nothing wrong with prohibiting users from distributing such tools here. Glad to see that you're not simply going to censor discussions of this type, but I personally feel that there are cases in which it would be perfectly reasonable to take action. Example: Someone describes, in detail, how to bypass or remove passwords.

Are the password hashes not salted? Shouldn't be too big of a concern as long as they're not straight MD5 hashes, but SHA-1 hashes are still arguably more secure. n_n
It would be a more secure and portable option to have quests as stand alone games. I imagine Phantom Menace never imagined his little program to have such reach or longevity. Obviously we have the benefit of seeing how things could work better.

Censorship of freedom of speech will be discussed on a case by case basis taking into acount the content and the drama it may cause. Obviously the ones specifically forbidden in the rules are exceptions.

Even if there were a more secure way to store the passwords would it really matter? We have no way of preventing a dictionary attack which might be more effective on most people's passwords than trying to reverse the hash. Is any hash truly secure? Simple solution: use a unique password for your quest.