*b* - From Wikipedia:
The primary control scheme is the Wii Wheel, which houses the Wii Remote. In addition to the Wii Wheel, four other controller schemes are present (as in Super Smash Bros. Brawl): the Wii Remote alone (tilted on its side), the Remote with the Nunchuk attachment, the Nintendo GameCube controller, or the Wii Classic Controller. However, by using the GameCube controller, some techniques will not be able to be accomplished. The ability to "snake" in previous Mario Kart games, which creates speed boosts by repeatedly drifting, has been abandoned in favor of a new speed boost system based on how long the player actually drifts.
Breaker: A quote for you too, from the same source:
A common criticism is the fact that Battle mode can now only be played in teams; no free-for-all option is offered. This removes the 'last man standing' element of previous Mario Kart Battle modes. The mode is also now score-based and played against the clock, resulting in only a small penalty from losing all three balloons.
Like I say though, it's still fun.

EDIT: I've just found out you can mix and match controllers, meaning I and my sister have just played a game together (I only have the one Wii remote). She enjoyed it, so it definitely owns. Get it.